Thursday, May 21, 2009

Classic American Country Music

I grew up in rural Michigan, where there was frequently music around the house - my father listened to country music, my mother listened to jazz and showtunes, my brother to rocknroll. Even though I treasured the times that my dad and I would watch Hee Haw together (Buck Owens IS God), as a kid with an older brother-hero complex, I gravitated to rocknroll and never looked back.

As a teenager, Heavy Metal was my music of choice, and to this day I still own every Judas Priest album through 1991 (on Vinyl baby!). But somewhere in the back of my head, country music always lurked, waiting for the moment when I would return. That time for me happened in the early 90s, when Warrant finally killed hair metal and Kurt Cobain staggered onstage. Heroin music took over rock, and it had little appeal to me. Around about the same time, Dwight Yoakam was cranking out album after album of kickass Buck Owens-inspired honkytonk, and my radar turned back toward NashVegas.

I spent the better portion of the 90s digging back through the history of country music, discovering all the classic tunes I'd missed out on the first time around. At some point, I stumbled across "Six Days on the Road", a Dave Dudley tune from the early 60s and I was entranced. I'm not a huge "trucker music" fan, but this song is as about as good structurally as a song gets, and Dudley's deep baritone is perfect for the tired trucked just wanting to get home to his baby. "Six Days" has settled in to my top-5 all time songs list, and I gotta share it with you.

Ladies and Gentlemen, Mr. Dave Dudley performs the Country Classic "Six Days on the Road". Put on yer boots, hotgirl, let's two-step...

No comments:

Post a Comment